Oxford City FC's first recorded match was against Bicester in 1884 and for several years it drew its players from other clubs within the City of Oxford such as Cygnets FC, Oxford Wanderers FC and Oxford United College Servants. Finally in 1897, after a rather stuttering existence over a decade or so, it launched itself as a self-contained club.
In 1906 Oxford City won the Amateur Cup and the following year entered the Isthmian League. Since their formation, City have won the Oxfordshire Senior Cup on more than 30 occasions, the Oxfordshire Benevolent Cup 18 times and the Oxford Charity Cup 9 times.
In 1979 the club became a limited company for the first time and in the following year Bobby Moore was appointed manager with Harry Redknapp as his assistant but unfortunately the club was relegated for only the second time in their history. Oxford City remained in Division One of the Isthmian League until forced to resign from the league in 1988 when Brasenose College, owners of the White House Ground, terminated City's lease due to a contravention of the terms, and sold the site for housing.Determined to revive the club, loyal supporters continued to hold regular meetings after the directors had resigned, even though no Oxford City teams played until 1989 when City entered a side in the Oxfordshire Youth League. For the 1990/91 season, an Oxford City senior side was elected into the South Midlands League, playing in the First Division. Gratefully sponsored by Unipart Group, the club utilised temporary facilities in Cutteslowe Park and finished third in the league winning promotion to the Premier Division. After securing the use of the larger Pressed Steel Ground at Roman Way in Cowley, it took two more seasons for the City to gain further success, this time winning the League Championship (a first for the club other than the war years).
The progress of the club meant that a new ground was urgently needed to realise the ambition of a return to the Isthmian League after having been forced to resign in 1988. With great help from the local council and numerous other contributors a site for a new stadium was made available at Court Place Farm. The opening game was played against neighbours Oxford United in front of a crowd of 1800 spectators, with City winning by three goals to one.Season 1994-95 was very successful with the club making history by reaching Wembley Stadium for the first time in the FA Vase final, unfortunately losing 2-1 to Arlesley Town. Further success was achieved that season with promotion to Division One of the league followed by more joy in 1995-96 as City won an Isthmian League Championship for the first time in the club's history with the top spot in Division One and promotion to the Premier where they remained for two seasons before returning to establish Division One status.
FA Cup history was again made eight seasons ago as City battled to the 1st Round Proper for the first time since 1970. After two exciting draws against Wycombe Wanderers, the full-time professionals finally overcame City at the third attempt with a narrow 1-0 victory at Oxford United's Manor ground in front of more than 4000 spectators. This was the last FA Cup tie to be decided after two replays.
Following the pyramid re-structure Oxford City joined the Southern League in season 2004-5 but were unfortunate to be relegated to the Spartan South Midlands in 2005. However, major success on the field immediately returned in 2006 with City securing the Spartan South Midland League Championship and Cup double. Oxford City now provide a high standard of competitive football with men's teams in both the British Gas Business Football League and the Sport Italia Hellenic Football League.